CHAPTER II - REGULATIONS FOR THE MEDICAL EXAMINATION OF DRIVERS
1.5 List of illnesses and disabilities incompatible with the practice of motor sport or requiring a medical assessment by a specific body
1.5.1 Absolutely excluded
- epilepsy, under treatment or not, with clinical manifestations confirmed during the 10 previous years,
- any cardiovascular problem with risk of sudden death,
- blindness in one eye.
The situation of those drivers suffering from monocular blindness who currently hold an international licence will be examined on a case-by-case basis by the FIA Medical Commission.
In addition, for every problem arising from one of the exclusions mentioned above, the FIA Medical Commission may, if it so desires, and for each dossier submitted, seek the opinion of a committee of experts.
1.5.2 Conditions incompatible for the granting of a standard licence that do, however, permit an application for a Special Abilities Licence
(see Chapter I, Article 10 of the present Appendix)
- all limitations of the articulations, amputations and prosthetic limbs which do not satisfy the criteria defined in Article 1.4
- major central or peripheral sensor-motor malfunction (monoplegia, hemiplegia, paraplegia, etc.)
1.5.3 Illnesses or disabilities requiring a medical assessment by a body approved by the ASN (Medical Commission, or in its absence, a doctor approved by the ASN):
- diabetes being treated with insulin or sulfonylureas, on condition that a confidential document proving the regular supervision of the party concerned and indicating the nature of his treatment is submitted to the medical body approved by the ASN and that the medical certificate of aptitude (see Article 1.8) bears the wording ‘‘medical supervision necessary’’;
- any abnormal cardiac or arterial condition;
- all psychological conditions liable to lead to behavioural problems and requiring psychiatric treatment;
- any health problem that might, because of its nature or the treatment required, result in consequences that are harmful to participation in motor sport including in case of an accident.